Welcome to the 5th Annual Manhattan Borough Arts Festival 2019
In recognition of the 5th Annual Manhattan Borough Arts Festival we are putting a twist on this year's application!
The number five (5) is an historical and influential number in many contexts of human existence and expression. In mathematics it is the only prime number that is the sum of two consecutive primes (2+3) and the only Fibonacci number equal to its position. In athletics it is the number of the Olympic Rings and the number of positions on a basketball team. In science, hurricanes and tornadoes are rated on a scale of 1- 5. In biology we have 5 senses and 5 fingers and toes on our hands and feet. In literature and entertainment there are countless examples including the Founding 5 Avengers, the 5 wizards in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and Slaughterhouse-Five. For all major religions and cultures the number 5 holds significance. Examples include the 5 Traditional Elements of the Universe in Hinduism, the 5 sacred wounds of Jesus in Christianity, the 5 Precepts in Buddhism, prayer 5 times a day in Islam, and the 5 books of the Torah in Judaism. Cleary the history of “5” has significant implications for our human existence and creativity.
With this in mind, we are posing an artistic challenge for this year's festival:
What inspiration and meaning in your own life do you derive from the number 5? How can you express it artistically?
We offer this as an OPTIONAL SUGGESTION to celebrate this year's anniversary. This is NOT A MANDATE for application to the festival. Think big (or small) and wow us!
The Performing Arts Showcase will take place June 13, 2019 at Harlem's World Famous Apollo Theater.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 29, 2019
- Only licensed DOE art specialists are eligible to enter submissions.
- Each school may submit up to three (3) student applications. Music, Dance, and Theater ensemble or group performances from students in grades 3-12 can apply.
- Complete this form once for each performance you wish to enter in the competition.
- Performances may not exceed 5 minutes.
For Performance Submissions Only: Reflection Questions (Please prepare these in advance.)
- What understandings do you hope your students are taking away from the experience of learning and performing this piece? Both musical and non-musical.
- Did you do the "number 5" challenge? If yes, please explain how you included "5."
- Student (Please pick 2 students to respond):
- How did performing this piece push you to think creatively?
- How did this piece challenge you individually and as a group?
For Emcee Submissions
- Create a 5 minute video audition and have ready to upload before starting application.
- Video must include the following:
- Introduction with name, age, school, and explain why you would be the right choice as an emcee for this festival
- Give a statement sharing your opinion as to why arts education in public schools is personally important both to you and to your fellow students.
- In your own words, show us how you would introduce the act! This is your chance to share your original voice as an emcee. Be sure to include the following information - school name, PS 175, and performance title, “Seasons of Love”
For technical questions about the application, email email@example.com
For content questions, email ManhattanBAF@schools.nyc.gov
Welcome to the Submission Application for the 5th Annual Brooklyn Borough Arts Festival - Performing Arts Showcase!
The Performing Arts Showcase will take place on May 30, 2019 at Brooklyn's famous Kings Theatre.
Application Deadline: April 4, 2019
Before you begin the online application, please read these guidelines in their entirety:
Please complete a form for each performance you wish to enter in the festival. Answers cannot be edited once you have submitted this form, however you are able to save a draft prior to submitting, so please review your answers when inputting.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Do not send submission videos or student reflections via email as they will not be considered as part of a complete submission.
For any questions, please email SPace@schools.nyc.gov.
- Music (Instrumental & Choral), Theater, and Dance performances from Brooklyn students in grades K-12
- Each school may submit up to 2 (two) works per Performing Arts Teacher
- Total persons in performing group may not exceed 55 and total running time may not exceed 8 minutes
- All performances should represent the best piece from this academic year
- Please refer to the grade appropriate Blueprint Benchmarks to help guide decision making regarding submission choices
- Submitted work must represent the piece you intend to showcase at this year’s festival
- Props may be used but must be transportable and fit easily into a bus
- Teachers of selected groups must attend a meeting at Kings Theatre, date TBD prior to the show
- Selected groups must attend the tech rehearsal the day of the performance
- FINAL PERFORMANCES must be no more than 8 minutes in length
- Submission does not guarantee representation at the festival. We strive for access and equity for all our schools. Schools who have not performed in the last two years will be considered first. Our committee will do its best to ensure representation among Brooklyn districts.
- A panel of NYC art educators will adjudicate all completed submissions.
- When reviewing submissions, the panel will use the Blueprint for Teaching and the Discipline-Specific Look-Fors in Dance, Choral Music, Instrumental Music, and Theater as guidelines for decision-making.
SELECTED PERFORMANCE AGREEMENT:
If selected for the performing arts showcase, you understand that:
1) You or a partner teacher will meet with the performing arts committee prior to the festival date
2) Your students and you will stay for the entirety of the show
3) Rehearsal will take place the same day as the performance
4) Lunch will be provided for students/schools
5) A light dinner will be provided for students and teachers prior to the performance
6) Busing or metro cards will be provided from the Arts Office to and from school unless you choose to make other arrangements
7) ACCEPTED SCHOOL GROUPS WILL BE EXPECTED TO PARTICIPATE IN A FINALE PERFORMANCE. DETAILS TO FOLLOW.
Welcome to the 2019 Brooklyn Borough Arts Festival
Visual Arts Submission Form
This year’s Brooklyn Borough Arts Festival Visual Arts Exhibition will be held at the Brooklyn Children’s Museum where we will have an entire gallery to exhibit our children’s work! Because we hope to be able to accommodate more artwork than in previous years, we will need to have the selection process completed earlier than usual.
The 2019 Brooklyn Borough Arts Festival Visual Arts Exhibition Reception will be held on the museum’s beautiful roof deck on Monday, May 13, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 1, 2019
The exhibition will be open to the public at The Brooklyn Children’s Museum from:
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - June 4, 2019 during museum hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10AM to 5PM, Thursday, 10AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Sunday 10AM to 7PM).
- Visual artwork from students in Brooklyn’s Public schools, grades Pre-K through 12, will be considered.
- ONE ARTWORK PER APPLICATION. Teachers may submit up to (3) works but each must have its own application.
- Only work from the teachers’ current school will be considered.
- Artwork should represent the best student artwork produced in classrooms in the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Please refer to the grade-appropriate Blueprint Benchmarks to help guide submission choices.
- Incomplete submissions will NOT be considered.
- Please do not submit the same work to both the BAF and PS ART.
- A panel of visual art educators will adjudicate the submitted artwork on Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
- Due to space limitations, it is not possible to guarantee representation of every school.
- The committee will do its best to assure even representation among all Brooklyn districts.
- Selection notifications will be sent by Friday, February 8th.
- The drop-off period will be from Monday, February 11th - Friday February 15th
MEDIA AND SIZE LIMITATIONS
- 3-D artwork must not exceed 20 lbs.
- Films should be uploaded directly to the application or shared by a link to the online video.
- Photography is welcome.
- Files should be labeled: Student Name_DBN_Teacher Name jpg Example: JaneDoe_21K239_Louzonis,
Our BAF performance will take place at Brooklyn’s historic Kings Theatre! For DANCE, MUSIC and THEATER submissions, please visit the 2019 Brooklyn Borough Performing Arts Application.
For technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.